Researchers from webuyanycar found that 53 percent of motorists are clueless when it comes to the tech and functionality of their cars, with 12 percent confessing they’re confused by almost all of them.
Some 45 percent have accidentally pushed the wrong button while driving, ending up unwillingly doing things like putting their full beam headlights on in broad daylight and a quarter have struggled to locate the fog light button, while 25 percent haven’t been able to find the lever to open the bonnet.
Around 24 percent have had trouble resetting their clock – and as a result have driven round for ages with the wrong time displaying while 22 percent are guilty of regularly putting the windscreen wipers on when they are actually trying to indicate.
It seems 21 percent have completely forgotten how to switch on cruise control, a fifth confess they’ve accidentally left their lights on full beam at night and driven for miles, passing numerous oncoming cars.
Richard Evans, head of technical services at webuyanycar, said, “With the rise of high-tech cars and electric vehicles, and the more complex functionality that comes with them, it’s not a huge surprise to see that so many of us are daunted by all the different functions and modes available to us now. Fortunately, it’s much simpler to sell your car quickly through webuyanycar so you have plenty more time on your hands to get to grips with your new car when you’re ready to upgrade.”
But that’s not all, as 62 percent have no idea what it means when a warning light or sound goes off in their vehicle and three in ten drivers admit they have accidentally switched on a different driving mode like eco or spot – before struggling to switch it off. Yet 16 percent say that despite this, they’ve never consulted their handbook to try and better understand how their vehicle works.
Most misunderstood tech and mistakes
- Trying to find the fog lights button 25%
- Finding the lever to open the bonnet 25%
- Resetting the clock 24%
- Putting the windscreen wipers on instead of indicating 22%
- How to switch on cruise control 21%
- Accidentally putting the lights on full beam 20%
- How to connect a mobile phone to the car 19%
- Trying to unlock the doors to let passengers in 16%
- Forgetting how to put the rear wipers on 15%
- Going to fill up petrol and forgetting which side the fuel cap is on 14%
- Being unable to switch to a different radio station 12%
- Using the satnav 12%
- Accidentally put child locks on the doors so no-one can get out 8%
- Put the car into reverse instead of forward 8%
- Couldn’t change the traction control 6%
- Couldn’t work out how to use air-conditioning 6%
- Put the hazard lights on by mistake 5%
- Don’t know how to refill screen wash 5%
- Struggled to operate windows 4%
- Couldn’t find the rear window heater 3%