The reports will enable motorists to know who they are buying their car from, providing the background checking of sole traders and salesmen. Over 40 million people in the UK will be accounted for.
192.com’s Background Reports display names, ages and addresses, property ownership, director records, financial, and shareholding information and they cost £29.94p inc VAT.
Charles Reis of the British Motorist Association said, “The association supports any initiatives that help protect the car buyer in what is normally a major personal investment. The concept of verifying the seller alongside the established practice of checking the vehicle itself is a great new idea and we look forward to seeing it in action through 192.com.”
The reports launch as 192.com’s nationally representative poll found that:
- Just one in five learnt as much as they could about the seller of the car.
- 73% do not verify a seller’s name and address against other sources.
- 70% did not verify a vehicle’s identification number.
- 70% did not conduct a HPI check.
- When buying a second hand car, 57% did not check the vehicle’s V5 logbook.
What’s more 60% do not make sure the Vehicle’s MOT is up to date.