Moneyshake surveyed 1,000 UK motorists to see how often UK drivers clean their cars and what they could be losing when it comes to trading in or selling. Research shows that a well-cleaned car can add up to 10% when you sell or exchange it.
Based on the average used car price in the UK, taking better care of your car could add up to £1,410 in value. But as Moneyshake found most drivers aren’t cleaning their car properly, they provided 8 expert tips to keep your car maintained and increase its value.
Expert Cleaning Tips To Increase Your Car’s Value by £1.4k in 8 Steps
1. Clean the exterior with quick-drying shampoo for no streaks
2. Wax and polish your before the hot weather comes
3. Replace your air filters every 12,000 miles
4. Uplift seat upholstery with laundry detergent
5. Protect and maintain your car’s carpet with waffle-style mats
6. Use a bristle-brush to cut through engine grease
7. Avoid WD-40 when weatherproofing door seals, as this can damage your car
8. Use a protective spray on windows to minimise cracks
Klavs Simkus, Founder and CEO of car inspection specialists CarExamer spoke with Moneyshake and said, “It depends on the vehicle’s use and on the weather/environment, but as a rule, every other month is too infrequent for good maintenance and car health. Every two to three weeks is much safer for the vehicle’s paintwork and outer mechanisms.”