The Volvo XC40 D4 AWD R-Design Pro has won this year’s overall trophy and also triumphed in the Caravan Weight 1400kg-1500kg category in the 37th Caravan and Motorhome Club Towcar of the Year Competition.
The industry’s premier towcar awards saw Volvo win back-to-back titles for the first time, while an all-electric Jaguar made a significant competition breakthrough.
The compact and stylish SUV impressed the judges around Millbrook Proving Ground’s tight and twisting ‘country lanes’ with consummate ease, and also proved rock-solid when pushed faster around the high-speed bowl.
The 36 entrants were put into caravan weight categories – rather than being listed by price – to make it easier for buyers to know which cars could tow their caravans. Cars were entered into classes using their 85% kerbweight figure or by their towing limit, whichever was the lower.
The competition had six weight classes, two Family Towcar categories as well as Pick-Up and Alternatively Fuelled categories.
The complete winners’ line-up is as follows:
- Caravan Weight under 1150kg & Alternatively Fuelled : Jaguar I-Pace 400PS Electric HSE
- Caravan Weight 1150kg – 1300kg : ŠKODA Octavia Estate Sportline 2.0 TDI 150 PS DSG
- Caravan Weight 1300kg – 1400kg & Best Family Towcar : Ford Focus Vignale Estate 2.0 EcoBlue 8-Speed Auto
- Caravan Weight 1400kg – 1500kg & Overall Winner : Volvo XC40 D4 AWD R-Design Pro
- Caravan Weight 1500kg – 1700kg : Volvo V60 D4 AWD Cross Country Plus
- Caravan Weight over 1700kg : Volkswagen Touareg R-Line Tech 3.0 V6 TDI 4MOTION 286PS auto tiptronic
- Best Large Family Towcar : ŠKODA Kodiaq vRS 2.0 TDI 239 PS 4×4 DSG
- Pick-Up : Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles Amarok Trendline 3.0 V6 TDI 4MOTION 204PS auto