The Easter holidays are a great time for holidaymakers to hit the open road and enjoy their first caravan or motorhome holiday of the year.
Martin Spencer, technical manager, The Caravan Club, said, “Hitting the road for an Easter motorhome or caravanning holiday has become somewhat of a British tradition. Here at The Caravan Club, we value our holidaymakers’ safety and can’t stress enough how important it is to ensure that vehicles are road-ready and all essential checks have been made.”
The Caravan Club offers over 200 sites across the UK, offering holidaymakers a comfortable and affordable option for the great Easter getaway. Whether it’s a holiday in Europe or a ‘staycation’ at one of the UK’s best spots, it is important for drivers to ensure that they are embarking on their journeys with a fully checked vehicle and prepared for all weather conditions. Don’t forget to check traffic and weather conditions before setting off using online or news resources, and keep up to date with changing conditions while travelling via radio or mobile alerts.
With Spring in the air and temperatures on the up, make sure all vehicles are road ready after the winter break with 11 simple checks as recommended by The Caravan Club:
- Check that all tyres are inflated to the correct pressure and that wheels that have been standing over the winter will rotate freely to be sure that the brakes have been released
- Make sure that the torque settings on wheel fixings are correct. For ideal torque settings, check with the vehicle manufacturer
- Check for signs of damp and allow time to air the motorhome or caravan. If necessary, The Caravan Club recommends using a dehumidifier to assist with this
- Check that all security items including alarms, trackers, wheel-clamps and hitch-locks are in working order
- Make sure that the fire extinguisher is in place and within its serviceable use date, and that smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are in working order – don’t forget to check batteries and pack an extra supply
- Get out the vacuum and give your vehicle the ultimate spring clean, it is also advisable to arrange a service if needed
- Check all water systems including the pump, tank and toilet. The Caravan Club also recommends sterilising all containers and water systems before use
- Stock up on cleaning supplies, gas and spare lightbulbs
- Charge the battery and check that it’s in prime condition
- Don’t get caught with out-of-date caravan or motorhome insurance and breakdown cover, give your provider a call if necessary to check that everything is in order
- Lastly, Easter can bring a variety of weather conditions, so be prepared with suitable clothing, and everything from sunglasses to extra blankets!
For holidaymakers heading out on a motorhome or caravanning holiday for the first time, The Caravan Club has a number of informative online guides, for an easy holiday.