Motorist across Wales will be digging a little deeper into their pockets to pay for fuel, as the average price of petrol and diesel in the region increased as much as 7.3p in 12 months.
According to Confused.com’s fuel price index, diesel drivers are bearing the brunt of the increases the most as the average cost per litre has increased to 130p – up a whopping 7.3p year-on-year. This is equivalent to £74 to fill up a medium-sized car.
It seems prices are continuing to climb as this is 0.3p more expensive than one week ago. Similarly, petrol prices across Wales are increasing, with the cost of petrol now at 120.7p, on average – 1p more expensive than 12 months ago and 0.7p more expensive than a week ago. This means the average price of a medium-sized tank could cost drivers £69.
While both petrol and diesel costs have gone up, the gap between the two has widened dramatically over the last 12 months. There is now a 9.3p difference in the cost per litre, compared to only 3p this time last year. This equates to a £5 difference in the price of a medium-sized tank of petrol and diesel, compared to £2 12 months ago.
And according to further research by Confused.com, motorists across Wales are left feeling slightly puzzled by the increases, as more than a third (34%) say they are confused about why the cost of fuel is increasing.
To ease the sting, Confused.com is offering motorists £20 free Texaco vouchers with their car insurance. And it’s not just increasing fuel prices that drivers are having to contend with. Following a short respite, the average price of car insurance in the UK increased to £774 at the end of 2018 – the most expensive since early 2018.
Motorists in certain areas of Wales may be particularly pleased with the extra help filling up their tank, as some could be paying as much as 131.2p for a litre of fuel.
According to the data, Flintshire is revealed to be one of the most expensive areas in Wales, with diesel costing a whopping 131.2p for diesel, and 122.3p for petrol, on average. Similarly, motorists in Powys could expect similar prices, with diesel also at 131.2p and petrol 122.1p, on average. However, Monmouthshire is the most expensive area in the region for petrol, with the average price per litre costing 123.1p, and 130.9p for diesel.
Meanwhile, drivers in Blaenau Gwent will also be groaning on their next trip to the fuel station, as diesel prices in the area have increased by 1.3p in the last week alone to 129.8p, on average. Similarly, the price of petrol climbed by a significant 1.9p, in Rhondda Cynon Taff last week, with drivers now facing costs of 120.5p, on average.
It is a similar picture across the UK, as the average price of fuel reaches its highest yet in 2019, following months of consecutive increases. According to the data, the current price of petrol climbed to 122p per litre, on average – an 0.8p increase week-on-week – and diesel reached 130.6p – up 0.2p in the same period. March saw the first month-on-month increase since October 2018. The cost of fuel increased by 1p on average, with diesel climbing to 130p per litre and petrol to 121p.
It seems the fluctuation in petrol prices has left some motorists feeling puzzled. Further research has found more than one in four (27%) UK drivers are confused about why the cost of fuel is increasing.
These increasing fuel prices seems to be having a serious effect on UK motorists. Almost one in three (32%) say it’s making it less affordable to run a car. And more than half (54%) have noticed they get fewer miles for their money.
The average amount spent per trip to the pumps costs motorists £32, on average. This is not enough to fill a small car (42L), which costs £51 for petrol and £55 for diesel, on average. With this in mind, one in eight (12%) UK drivers admit they can’t afford to fill up their car regularly. And more than a third (36%) are calling for fuel to be made more affordable.
But cutting back on the amount they spend when topping up isn’t the only measure motorists are taking to save the pennies. Nearly one in five (19%) say they avoid making trips in their car to reduce their spending. One in four (26%) UK drivers would even change jobs to cut back on the amount spent commuting. Nearly one in seven (15%) would seek a better salary in order to afford to run their car.
Meanwhile, many motorists would be willing to ditch petrol and diesel altogether in order to cut back on their fuel spending. Almost half (49%) would buy an electric vehicle (EV) for their next car. However, of the remaining 51% who wouldn’t, 61% say the hefty price tag of an EV still puts them off, while 60% bemoan a lack of charging points.