Unfortunately this has led to an increase in neighbourly disputes, with more than half (57%) of all UK residents admitting to falling out with their neighbours over parking, and parking problems being behind three quarters (76%) of all neighbourly rifts.
According to a new survey conducted by independent car leasing and supply professionals, OSV Ltd, the main argument between neighbours isn’t loud music, hedges or fences, it’s parking, with men being almost three times more likely to begin a parking rift than women. And it’s reached the point where 10% of us would actually put off going out in order not to lose a parking spot.
|While we might only be driving our vehicles for an average 4% of the time, leaving them parked up for the other 96% of the year, some of us do still have places to go, which has led 67% of drivers to get creative in a bid to find preventative measures to keep other vehicles from parking in their spots.
The survey, which took in the views of 1005 people from across the country, revealed that neighbourhood parking issues had become such a problem that more than 25% of survey respondents had considered calling community police to help resolve a parking issue, and that more than a quarter (27%) were worried about on-pavement parking in their area.
|While the traffic cone retains its popularity and is used by 19% of people to mark their parking territory, other DIY options have also started appearing: