The UK electricity system has sufficient capacity to deliver energy to electric vehicles, however recent research suggests that if clusters of EVs develop in local areas and they’re all charged simultaneously then some local electricity networks may require costly reinforcement.
A smart charging system, such as the one being trialled in Electric Nation, could alleviate the stress on the electricity network caused by clusters of EVs charging at the same time. Participation in the Electric Nation trial will be limited to those living in the Midlands, South West and South Wales.
Electric Nation is recruiting 500 to 700 people buying or leasing any model of EV (including pure electric or plug-in hybrid) to take part in the largest trial of its kind. It’s open to individuals and companies who qualify for assistance under the Government scheme. The smart charger is yours to keep after the end of the Electric Nation trial.
If you’re buying or leasing an electric vehicle (EV) – including pure electric and plug-in hybrid – you’re invited to become part of the Electric Nation community. If you join Electric Nation you will get a free* smart charger. The Electric Nation project is trialling a smart charging solution so you’ll also be helping to make sure our electricity networks can cope with the increasing numbers of electric vehicles expected in the future.
- This smart charger is one of the latest, most intelligent on the market
- It can give you data on your charging history
- The smart charger will be capable of providing demand control services, including altering the rate of charging of your car
- The smart charger has a power rating of 7kW, which can charge an EV up to twice as fast as a 3kW home charge point, if the vehicle is capable of being charged at this rate
- The smart charger is much faster and safer than charging from a domestic three pin socket
- It will have the latest functionality as software updates can be carried out remotely
- Issues with your smart charger can be diagnosed and often fixed remotely.